About Me

My photo
Welcome to my ScandinAsian food blog. A blog about what I like to make in my little Norweigan kitchen, from homemade meals to fun creative sandwiches. My parents gave me the name Sorieya, a Cambodian name, which means sun. I'm originally from the United States. Now I'm currently living in Norway, married to a Norwegian man with 3 beautiful children. It's hard being away from my family back in the States and I miss them everyday. I am not an artist but I love making fun sandwiches for my kids. I am not a professional chef but I love to cook and I love being in the kitchen. I love introducing my children to different kind of international food, introducing food from my childhood and explaining to my kids the history about their culture and food. I love spending those quality time together teaching my little ones how to make bread, Khmer food, and teaching me Norwegian. My Norwegian isn't that great but I do understand just the basics but speaking it, that's another story.

Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Cambodian lemon chicken soup

This is my version of Cambodian lemon chicken soup. It's healthy and tasty. One of my favorites when I was a kid. My mom would make this for me and she still does when I fly across the Atlantic and visit. (I miss her food so much.) She's the best. My husband doesn't really like this because it's too healthy and lemony. Men. But my kids loves it. It goes great with jasmine rice and great to eat during cold harsh weather. I wanted to share this recipe, so here it is.
Lemon chicken soup

2 boneless chicken breast, cut into cubes/ bite size

1 whole chicken cut up into 6 to 8 pieces ( I used extra chicken. Have you seen the size of the chicken they sell in Norway, very tiny)

salt and pepper

1 tablespoon golden mountain seasoning

4 clove garlic

1 yellow onion sliced

1 piece 1/4 inch galagal

1 whole preserverd lemon, cut in half

1-2 tablespoons fish sauce

2- 2 1/2 quart water

3 stalk crushed lemon grass

2 chicken bouillon cubes



Topping
2 stalks green onion chopped

1 1/2 cups chopped fresh chinese parsley, fresh sweet thai basil and fresh coriander
2 lime cut into wedges

Chili paste



In a large pot on medium/high heat add 1 tablespoon cooking oil, then add cut up whole chicken and chicken breast season with salt, pepper, and seasoning sauce cook/stir for about 4 minutes. Then add crush garlics, yellow onions, galangal, stir. Add persevere lemon and 1-2 tablespoons fish sauce, stir. Add about 2-2 1/2 quarts water, chicken bouillons and crush whole stalks of lemon grass (by using a back of a cleaver). Let boil and stir. Let simmer for about 40 minutes to an hour until chicken is done cooking, turns white. After chicken has cooked, scoop off the bubbly white froth and discard.

While that is simmering. Chop fresh herbs. Scallions, Thai basil, Chinese parsley, coriander leaves and dice 2 lime into wedges.

In a bowl pour in lemon chicken soup. Then add on top fresh chop scallions and chop herbs, add squeez lime juice about 1-2 wedges, 1/2 tablespoon chili paste, and lime rind. Stir gently and serve with jasmine rice.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you you saved my life. Coming down with a flu and couldn't get on the phone to my sister to ask her the recipe!!!

    ReplyDelete