About Me

My photo
Welcome to my ScandinAsian food blog. A blog about what I like to make in my little Norweigan kitchen, from homemade meals to fun creative sandwiches. My parents gave me the name Sorieya, a Cambodian name, which means sun. I'm originally from the United States. Now I'm currently living in Norway, married to a Norwegian man with 3 beautiful children. It's hard being away from my family back in the States and I miss them everyday. I am not an artist but I love making fun sandwiches for my kids. I am not a professional chef but I love to cook and I love being in the kitchen. I love introducing my children to different kind of international food, introducing food from my childhood and explaining to my kids the history about their culture and food. I love spending those quality time together teaching my little ones how to make bread, Khmer food, and teaching me Norwegian. My Norwegian isn't that great but I do understand just the basics but speaking it, that's another story.

Saturday, March 31, 2012

Homemade Chunky Salsa & Tomato Chicken Soup


My homemade salsa, cranberry sauce, and cranberry creamy sauce.

Homemade chunky salsa :)  I made this today and it is so yummy. Serve cold with tortilla chips. Perfect. My husband says to me, " No need to buy store bought salsa anymore."









1 can diced tomatoes
6 ripe fresh tomatoes, chopped
1 large green bell pepper, seeds removed and chopped
1 onion, finely chopped
3 clove garlic, minced
1 can sweet corn kernel (Green Giant)
1-2 small jalapeno, seeded and diced
chopped avocados (optional)
handful fresh cilantro
1 pk Santa Maria taco seasoning or make your own tex mex seasoning
salt and pepper for taste
1 tablespoon cumin
about a tablespoon red whine vinegar (optional)
4 tablespoons fresh lime juice

Tex mex seasoning:
2 teaspoons chili powder
1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
1 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon oregano
1/4 teaspoon cayenne
1 pinch red pepper flakes
Mix chili powder, paprika, onion powder, sea salt, garlic powder, cumin, oregano, black pepper, cayenne pepper, and red pepper flakes in a bowl.


Instructions for making salsa:
In a large mixing bowl add can tomato with juice, chopped tomatoes, diced green bell pepper, diced onions, minced garlic,corn kernel, chopped jalepenos, chopped avocados.
Season with tex mex seasoning, fresh chopped cilantro, cumin, lime juice, and salt&pepper. Mix all ingredients well (taste for seasoning and adjust as needed). Serve with chips, tacos or other Mexican entrees, as a baked potato or omelet topping, soup garnish, etc. 



My homemade tomato chicken soup


I seasoned my whole chicken and roast in the oven for 1 1/2 hour. Shredded and cut meat into bite size with fork and knife. Set that aside.

Chopped celery, onions, garlic, red bell pepper, and tomatoes. Set aside.

1 can small fresh corn kernels.

Freshly chopped coriander leaves.

In a soup pot on high heat. Added tablespoons olive oil.

Then I add in onions and garlic. Saute them for 4 minutes.

I added the rest of my veggies and saute them for another 3-4 minutes.

I added my chicken. Stirred everything together well. Low heat to medium. 


Added 2 quarts water, 4 cubes of chicken bouillon, 1 can tomato, 1 cup of my homemade salsa............ 

Added 2 tablespoons lime juice

Boiled for 5 minutes. Then cover and let simmer for about half hour.

Half hour later, added fresh chopped coriander leaves. Simmer for 12 minutes.

Serve hot. Topped with cheddar mozzarella cheese. Could also topped with tortilla chips or could of add long grain rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment