About Me

My photo
Welcome to my ScandinAsian food blog. A blog about what I like to make in my little Norweigan kitchen, from homemade meals to fun creative sandwiches. My parents gave me the name Sorieya, a Cambodian name, which means sun. I'm originally from the United States. Now I'm currently living in Norway, married to a Norwegian man with 3 beautiful children. It's hard being away from my family back in the States and I miss them everyday. I am not an artist but I love making fun sandwiches for my kids. I am not a professional chef but I love to cook and I love being in the kitchen. I love introducing my children to different kind of international food, introducing food from my childhood and explaining to my kids the history about their culture and food. I love spending those quality time together teaching my little ones how to make bread, Khmer food, and teaching me Norwegian. My Norwegian isn't that great but I do understand just the basics but speaking it, that's another story.

Monday, March 5, 2012

Flour Tortillas


Homemade Flour Tortillas


I really like the taste and the freshness of homemade torillas than store bought. It's very simple to make too. My kids loves these too. Plus the groccery stores in Norway is way too expensive and it doesn't taste that good. They have rise the taxes from 14% to 15% taxes on food and the worst part the high tariff on imports.   



Homemade tortillas



4 cups all purpose flour
1 to 1 1/2 teaspoon salt

2 teaspoon baking powder
2 tablespoons margarine
1 1/2 cups water

In a large mixing bowl combine flour, salt, and baking powder, whisk together.
With your fingers mix in the margarine into the flour mixture, combine until the flour resembles like cornmeal.
Then add water and mix with your hands until the dough comes together. Place on a lightly floured surface and knead a few minutes until dough is smooth and elastic.
Divide the dough into 24 equal pieces and roll each piece into a ball.
Floured surface and using a well floured rolling pin to roll a dough ball into thin round torilla. (as thin as you want) If it gets sticky just add a little more flour to the surface or rolling pin. Continue rolling out the rest of the mini doughs into tortilla shapes.
Preheat a large skillet over medium/high heat. When the skillet is hot place one of the tortilla into the skillet and cook until bubbly and golden about 25+ seconds and flip over and continue cooking until golden about 20+ seconds.
Place the cooked tortilla in a tortilla warmer and continue cooking the rest.
I added 1 to 1 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil to get them a bit crispy because my kids seem to like it that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment