About Me

My photo
Welcome to my ScandinAsian food blog. A blog about what I like to make in my little Norweigan kitchen, from homemade meals to fun creative sandwiches. My parents gave me the name Sorieya, a Cambodian name, which means sun. I'm originally from the United States. Now I'm currently living in Norway, married to a Norwegian man with 3 beautiful children. It's hard being away from my family back in the States and I miss them everyday. I am not an artist but I love making fun sandwiches for my kids. I am not a professional chef but I love to cook and I love being in the kitchen. I love introducing my children to different kind of international food, introducing food from my childhood and explaining to my kids the history about their culture and food. I love spending those quality time together teaching my little ones how to make bread, Khmer food, and teaching me Norwegian. My Norwegian isn't that great but I do understand just the basics but speaking it, that's another story.

Friday, March 9, 2012

Mexican pork chops


When we first moved to the west side of Oslo back 6 years ago I would make Mexican pork chops often because it was and is one of my hubby favorites. Chicken and beef in Norway's grocery stores are so expensive and they don't import a lot of meat. I still haven't seen any American imported meat at all if so I don't want to know how much it cost. When I was looking around for Italian sausages and we found some at an Italian shop and to my shock it was 500 kr- or 88 US Dollars per half  kilo. I was thinking WHAT!? Beef is around 13 US Dollars a lbs. Chicken breast I bought 650grams for 17 US Dollars just over 1 1/2 lbs. Pork is the cheapest to buy. Anyways Mexican pork chop is simple and quick to prep.


Salt and black pepper for taste
1/2 teaspoon dried cumin(optional)
1 teaspoon paprika
2 teaspoon steak seasoning (optional)
1 teaspoon garlic powder(optional)
Seasoning sauce
4 boneless pork chops
Marinade and season pork chops and set a side

1 can SW Mexican tomato stew
1 small onion, chopped
1 glove garlic, minced
1/2 cup sweet kennel corn
1/2 cup kidney beans
1 small chopped red bell pepper
1/2 cup long grain rice
1 cup beef stock

In a deep skillet heat vegetable oil over medium/high heat add marinade pork chops searing each side for 3 to 5 minutes. Place pork chops on a plate and set aside. With the same skillet add 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil, cook onions and garlic for 2 minutes, add in tomato stew, pepper, corn, beans and stir, let cook for 2 minutes. Add rice and broth stir and let cook for 3 minutes. Place pork chops on top of the tomato rice stew. Cover and place in the oven on 375 degrees F, bake for 30 minutes. Remove cover and bake for another 10 minutes. Serve on a plate and top with chopped cilantro.

No comments:

Post a Comment