About Me

My photo
Welcome to my ScandinAsian food blog. A blog about what I like to make in my little Norweigan kitchen, from homemade meals to fun creative sandwiches. My parents gave me the name Sorieya, a Cambodian name, which means sun. I'm originally from the United States. Now I'm currently living in Norway, married to a Norwegian man with 3 beautiful children. It's hard being away from my family back in the States and I miss them everyday. I am not an artist but I love making fun sandwiches for my kids. I am not a professional chef but I love to cook and I love being in the kitchen. I love introducing my children to different kind of international food, introducing food from my childhood and explaining to my kids the history about their culture and food. I love spending those quality time together teaching my little ones how to make bread, Khmer food, and teaching me Norwegian. My Norwegian isn't that great but I do understand just the basics but speaking it, that's another story.

Saturday, March 16, 2013

Norwegian Vafler

Our Saturday brunch homemade Norwegian waffles. Our kids favorite. Maine Maple Syrup and butter with Norwegian waffles perfect combination. My dad had tried Norwegian waffle at Oslo City when my parents came to visit during last Christmas. My mom had a panini instead. They weren't so impressed with their food. When my parents come and visit again I will make them my homemade waffles. I know my dad would like it more.

2 eggs
2 tablespoons white sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla sugar
3 tablespoon melted butter
2/3 cup milk
1 cup sour cream
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cardamon
1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder

2 tablespoon butter at room temperature for brushing.

Pre-heat a Norwegian waffle iron or any waffle iron

In a bowl mix and beat eggs, sugar, cardamon, vanilla sugar together with an electric whisk. Add in flour, baking powder, and salt. Mix well and beat in sour cream, milk, and butter until batter is semi smooth. Let the batter sit for 15 minutes before making the waffles. 

Brush some butter on the surface inside the waffle iron each time making waffle. Ladle 1/4 cup of the waffle batter in the iron and close the top of the waffle iron. Cook for 4 minutes until waffle become light brown. Remove waffle and transfer to a plate and  repeat. Serve warm. 

For the topping you could use anything, fresh fruits, ice cream, Norwegian goat cheese, strawberry jam or any jam and sour cream, butter, powder sugar, or Maine maple syrup. 

No comments:

Post a Comment