About Me

My photo
Welcome to my ScandinAsian food blog. A blog about what I like to make in my little Norweigan kitchen, from homemade meals to fun creative sandwiches. My parents gave me the name Sorieya, a Cambodian name, which means sun. I'm originally from the United States. Now I'm currently living in Norway, married to a Norwegian man with 3 beautiful children. It's hard being away from my family back in the States and I miss them everyday. I am not an artist but I love making fun sandwiches for my kids. I am not a professional chef but I love to cook and I love being in the kitchen. I love introducing my children to different kind of international food, introducing food from my childhood and explaining to my kids the history about their culture and food. I love spending those quality time together teaching my little ones how to make bread, Khmer food, and teaching me Norwegian. My Norwegian isn't that great but I do understand just the basics but speaking it, that's another story.

Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Baking and Cooking in my kitchen


What a day. My day started off a bit stressful. Hopefully Friday will come soon. I brought one of my daughters to work with me. She was a handful. From 9am until 4:00pm. We had to go to Meny to buy some ingredients and head straight to my kitchen. First I had a lot of cleaning to do at the Martial Art institute where my husband and his partner is running. It was a breeze just getting things organized but when it came to my kitchen. It  became stressful with Becky my 3 year old daughter. If I had brought my other daughter too, and when they are together...it's double the trouble. 

I had to keep a very close eye on Becky while I was prepping in my kitchen. She is so curious and has to touch anything and everything. I had to be quick with the prepping and the cooking because I had to pick up my son from school 4:20pm. Around 4:00pm is when it's stuck in traffic. The traffic in Oslo is not that bad. The worst traffic I could remember being stuck is in Boston 4 long hours from China Town to Saugus or during the summers in Maine (tourist season). 

Anyways, while I had my hands full. I had made and baked all of these by myself.


Chocolate a want to be Danish
Strawberry a want to be Danish
Blueberry a want to be Danish
Chocolate Chip Muffins
Homemade pizzas (pepperoni, cheese, and marinara sauce or
pepperoni, cheese, onions, green bell pepper, black olives, and marinara sauce) basically veggies or without
Homemade Fried Pork Wontons (ground pork, chopped fresh coriander, shallots, onions, oyster sauce, seasoning sauce, seasoning salt, salt, pepper, garlic, serve with chili sauce or soy sauce.)

Food Display of the things I've made


 Cheesecake filling. (300grams Philadelphia cream cheese, 1/2 cup sugar, vanilla bean sugar, 1 tablespoon vanilla extract, and couple tablespoons flour.) Mixed all well in a bowl.

Fresh Strawberries chopped and sprinkled a little powder sugar. (I should of added tablespoon of flour because when I baked it there some liquid leaking out, the next time I make these I will add a little flour)
 My pastry dough...

 Cut strips with scissors....

 Spread cream cheese mixture.....

 Topped with fresh chopped strawberries.....

 Took both sides of each strips, press together......
 done with one and more to go.....
 brushed top with a little butter.....
 ...........................................
 In the oven at 200 degrees C. ....... for 15 to 20 minutes until golden.
The most expensive ingredient in my cheesecake filling. Vanilla extract which cost me 110krs (20 US Dollars) for this tiny 70 grams bottle. Fresh strawberries were 29krs for 400grams so I had to buy 2 package) Everything is so expensive in Norway. I'm used to it now even though I hate the high prices and high taxes.

 Anyways.....Strawberry want to be danish are done. The next time I make these I will have to tight it up more and add a little flour to the berries so it won't be so liqiudy.

 Sprinkled with powder sugar.



I also wanted to share these drawings I did. I thought I would go to Ikea and buy A4 size frames for them and hang them in my cafeteria.










No comments:

Post a Comment