About Me

My photo
Welcome to my ScandinAsian food blog. A blog about what I like to make in my little Norweigan kitchen, from homemade meals to fun creative sandwiches. My parents gave me the name Sorieya, a Cambodian name, which means sun. I'm originally from the United States. Now I'm currently living in Norway, married to a Norwegian man with 3 beautiful children. It's hard being away from my family back in the States and I miss them everyday. I am not an artist but I love making fun sandwiches for my kids. I am not a professional chef but I love to cook and I love being in the kitchen. I love introducing my children to different kind of international food, introducing food from my childhood and explaining to my kids the history about their culture and food. I love spending those quality time together teaching my little ones how to make bread, Khmer food, and teaching me Norwegian. My Norwegian isn't that great but I do understand just the basics but speaking it, that's another story.

Monday, March 18, 2013

More Norwegian Vafler

When I moved to Norway years ago. I never tried Norwegian vafler but after I was pregnant with my first, 6 years ago. I've tried it, wasn't a real fan of it. We rarely have them only if we go to an event. There is always someone making vaflers. My husband had made his homemade vafler which was tasty and I really liked it. Now that I am running a kitchen in the martial art institute. A lot of them eat vafler. I have been told I make really good vaflers maybe because I add a little of American touch to it. I think it taste great when it come straight out of the waffle iron. It gets a little crisp. When it cools down it becomes soft. For toppings people use slices of Norwegian brown goat cheese or strawberry jams. I like mine with Maine Maple Syrup, cheesecake filling, and vanilla ice cream. The vaflers are a big hit with the kids.
Norwegian waffle iron is different than the Belgian waffle maker. It comes out thinner than the Belgian waffle iron. It has 5 heart shapes. I do miss Belgian waffles especially with fresh cut strawberries and cool whip on top. I haven't had those since 2002. I have a really hard time finding a Belgian waffle iron in the stores. They do sell ready made Belgian waffles in the grocery stores but they don't taste like the ones I like.

Vafler recipe- http://sorieyahomemadecooking.blogspot.no/2013/03/norwegian-waffles.html
 I made vaflers and cut the heart shape pieces and spread homemade cheesecake filling and made into Norweigan Vafler Cheesecake Sandwiches.

No comments:

Post a Comment