About Me

My photo
Welcome to my ScandinAsian food blog. A blog about what I like to make in my little Norweigan kitchen, from homemade meals to fun creative sandwiches. My parents gave me the name Sorieya, a Cambodian name, which means sun. I'm originally from the United States. Now I'm currently living in Norway, married to a Norwegian man with 3 beautiful children. It's hard being away from my family back in the States and I miss them everyday. I am not an artist but I love making fun sandwiches for my kids. I am not a professional chef but I love to cook and I love being in the kitchen. I love introducing my children to different kind of international food, introducing food from my childhood and explaining to my kids the history about their culture and food. I love spending those quality time together teaching my little ones how to make bread, Khmer food, and teaching me Norwegian. My Norwegian isn't that great but I do understand just the basics but speaking it, that's another story.

Saturday, December 6, 2014

Stir fry beef and spinach in oyster sauce

 I love cooking. In the beginning I wasn't good at it. I knew how to make breakfast, noodles, and home fries. I had to learn quick when I moved out of my parents home, it took me months, thanks to watching a lot of food network TV shows, reading cooking magazines, and working in a restaurant. 
 My parents always make great food. My dad used to be a cook when he was younger. As a kid I remember he made great pasta sauce, Chinese steamed bun, and other food. My mom makes great food too. My parents has worked so hard all their life and they still do. They are amazing people and I wish we lived closer to them. I want my kids to be around them as much as I have. I'm a very family person. To me, my kids and my family comes first than anything else. It's hard most of the time being more than 3000 miles away living in another country. I don't have any family here except for my husband's family. I don't get to see my parents, sister, or brother much especially during the holidays. I remember after school I always look forward coming home to see what my mom has made. I wonder how did she had the time to make food when she worked a lot, taking care of her kids, and keeping the house in order. I appreciate everything my parents has done for me. I love my mom Cambodian dishes, like her fried rice, baked Cambodian chicken wings, soups, stews, egg rolls, steaks, fish, etc. Yes, there are some dishes I don't like and she knows that. She also makes great pasta sauce. My kids love her spaghetti and meatballs. The last time we visited my family was back in April. My kids were always in the kitchen wondering what is grandma making. They love her breakfast too. Early in the morning she would make pancakes, eggs, breakfast sausages. Now my kids tells me "Mommy I miss grandma and her kitchen." And I do too.

Yesterday I made two different kind of wok dishes. Simple sweat and sour chicken and stir fry beef and spinach with oyster sauce. I didn't have any broccoli so I used spinach. My kids love spinach especially my oldest son after telling them the story of Popeye.

 I will share my recipe for stir fry beef and spinach.


1 onion, chopped
3 clove garlic, minced
1 shallot, minced
half small red pepper, seeded, minced (optional)
1 package fresh spinach, already washed


Beef marinading
1 1/2 lb flank steak, sliced into thin strips
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 cup seasoning sauce/soy sauce
dash of cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1 tablespoon palm sugar
1 tablespoons coconut oil

Sauce
1/4 cup oyster sauce
1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1 1/2 tablespoon palm sugar


  • Marinate beef by whisking together all the marinade ingredients in a large bowl, then toss the beef in to coat. Cover and refrigerate for an hour.
  • In a small bowl stir together the sauce ingredients and set a side
  • Heat about 1 1/2 tablespoons of vegetable oil in a wok over medium to high heat. When oil is hot add garlic, onions, shallots, pepper, stir for a minute. Then add in marinaded beef, stir well. Cook for another 4 minutes be careful not to over cook the meat, add in spinach, stir well. Pour sauce on top, stir until sauce thickens. Serve hot with steamed rice.







No comments:

Post a Comment